Friday 27 January 2012

Boysenberry Chocolate Mousse Pie


It's a rare treat in my neck of the woods that we get organic boysenberry. When I saw them in my local health food shop I brought two punnets and took them home with such excitement in my heart. Something new to play with. I had no idea what I was going to prepare but with gorgeous boysenberry it really wouldn't matter. I was going to dinner at a friends house that night so I decided to do
a chocolate mousse and boysenberry pie. I wish I could have recorded the oohs and ahhs as everyone spooned a soft piece of the pie into their mouths. It was a hit and secretly I knew it would be.

Once you know how to prepare a raw pie it really doesn't take long to whip one up. It takes me about 30 minutes which makes it a great treat to take to a friend house for dinner and almost guarantees your dish to be the favourite of the night! So I encourage you to practice making them 3-4 times and you'll have a wonderful, healthy and delicious dessert for any occasion and for anyone with a sweet tooth! The variations are endless, try my Lemon and Passionfruit cheezecake (June 2011)

Make 1x pie – serves 12-16 people depending on the size of the piece

Crust
1.5 cups almonds
½ cup dessicated coconut
¼ cup cacao powder
¼ cup coconut oil
4 mejoul dates (the fresh ones) or 6 soaked dried dates

Flan/Pie tin with a movable base - 25cm  -  inch high

Process the almonds in a food processor until they are a fine meal. Add the desicated coconut and cacao powder and pulse for another minute. Remove pitts from the dates and add to the mix, pulsing for 1-2 minutes or until dates have been broken down and resemble a fine crumbly texture. Finally add the coconut oil and pulse for 30 seconds. The mixture should be crumbly in texture and when you squeeze it together, it sticks. The trick is not to over-process it.
Scoup the mixture into spring form flan tin. Start with the edges, pinch into the flan creases and form a neat edge of about 4mm thick. Then lightly spread the remaining mixture evenly across the base of the flan tin. Press firmly and evely flatten down the pie crust. Place in the fridge to chill while you make the filling.

Filling
3 small avocado's
¾ cup cacao powder
½ cup coconut oil
150gm boysenberry (or raspberries)
¼ cup light agave syrup
1 cup mejoul dates
1/8 cup lime juice

Place dates and agave syrup into a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and process until light and fluffy. Spoon into the chocolate pie crust and smooth flat with a spatula. Garnish with boysenberrys, cut into halves. Chill for a minimum of 2-3 hours or until set.


No comments:

Post a Comment